In addition to the science work packages, SEEC is working towards a number of cross cutting themes (CCTs), addressing issues that touch on general principles such as democracy, equality, sustainability, and good governance. The aim of the CCTs is to improve the quality and the legacy of SEEC, and to add value to structural funds programmes as a whole. The CCTs for SEEC are:
- Female participation in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Activities supporting speakers of the Welsh Language.
- Development of an organisational travel plan and sustainable transport initiatives.
- Resource efficiency measures.
- Developing / engaging CCT champions.
- CCT staff training programme introduced.